Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Organization can be pretty!

My unmounted stamps and various supplies have begun to get out of hand, so awhile back I started the monumental task of organizing my stuff. I put most of my unmounteds into binders, sorted my buttons into Jif peanut butter jars (because I'm a picky mother<--grin), and put my oversized paper and fabric flowers into an old plastic candy jar.

Now I'm in the process of making my jars and binders pretty! I started with the candy jar and decided to take Bombshell Stamps' April Challenge which was set by the wonderfully talented Cheryl, who is Ms. April. She named her challenge Baby's Got Back and challenged us to put away our patterned paper (sob!) and create our own background paper with Bombshell Stamps. Check out the challenge here.

Since I like to "double-dip", this project also is my "Altered/Decorated" project for Smeared & Smudged. Gotta love efficiency, eh?

Here's the jar.



Here's a close-up of the top of the jar.


Here are my screamingly verbose details. *giggle*
For the jar's label, I stamped the flower corner on the four corners of a small rectangular piece of white cardstock. I filled in the rest of the area with the flower/leaf (both from Bombshell's Hula Girl set. Using Copic markers, I colored each flower and leaf with two shades of the same color, then colored the background with a very light blue. The Making Memories Glitter stickers didn't show up, so I cut a Spellbinders' Fancy Label from silvery/white vellum, then layered the letter stickers over that.

The jar's lid is plain old plastic and had a paper label on it. I cut a circle from light blue cardstock using a Nestabilities die. I colored 3 humongo Heidi Swapp fabric flowers with Copic markers and stacked them.

For the center of the flower, I punched a 2" circle from white cardstock, which matched the 2" Ideology Fragment I planned to use. I stamped the medium Sugar Skull (from Bombshell's Sugar Skull set) into the center of the circle (my aim was a bit off), masked it, and then repeatedly stamped the same flowers from the Hula Girl set over and around the Sugar Skull. I colored the Sugar Skull, outlined it with mid gray, and then used other colors to color the flowers. I filled in the white space with light blue again. I used Glossy Accents to adhere the circle to the Fragment, weighted it down to eliminate air bubbles, and waited for it to dry. When it was dry, I adhered the Sugar Skull Fragment to the center of the flower with Glossy Accents, weighted it down, and left that to dry. Imagine my dismay to discover that the darned glue ran out from under the Fragment! But Bling came to the rescue, which delighted my inner magpie.

Oh, by the way, you have until Monday to sign up for this month's Bombshell Hump Day Hop and until the end of the month to complete Ms. April's challenge, my sketch, or to enter the Bombshell Banner contest. Cool deal!!!

Thanks for visiting today!

3 comments:

  1. Oh this is awesome!!!! LOVE how preetty the altered jar is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, who would've thought a skull could look so pretty!

    ReplyDelete