Thursday, December 5, 2013

Pink Flamingo

After all the holiday fun and hoopla last week, it's no surprise that unlike the fellow below, I am not in the pink. Not even remotely.

What happens chez moi is that when someone gets sick, s/he passes the little bug along to me, and it becomes a big bug. Since my last post, I've been trying to recuperate. I do feel better, though you'd never know it if you were around me. I sound like a coughing frog. Fortunately, I don't think I look like one, but one never knows, do one?

Anyway, here's the spiel about my project. It features Stampotique's Flamingo, who I think is just adorable. I do love flamingos and would like to have some fake plastic ones in my yard. My husband vetoed that. Spoilsport. Sadly, this guy will have to suffice. For now.

Coughing up a lung whilst coloring wreaks havoc upon said coloring, so I opted to make an almost completely paper-pieced, punched, and die cut card.

Here it is!


I stamped Flamingo several times onto pink, yellow, and greenish-bluish patterned papers from a variety of My Mind's Eye Lost and Found 6x6 pads. They're perfect for this sort of thing because they feature some smallish patterns. Once stamped, the various parts were fussy-cut and edged with black marker. Some parts, like the wing and the water ripples, were colored with Copic markers between coughs. Other parts, like his raised foot and beak, were coated with a few layers of Clear Glaze Gelly pen to make 'em dimensional and shiny. More patterned papers were cut, edged with Distress ink, and layered to form a scene. Then the Flamingo was pieced back together.

A punched sun and a whole mess of colored die-cut clouds were added.

I was going to make the Flamingo into a Santa, but I just wasn't feeling at all merry. So he's just relaxing in the sunlight.

Thanks for visiting today!

This card shall be entered in the following challenges.
Stampotique Designer's Challenge #128: Anything Goes
365 Cards, Day 338: Word Wednesday -- Feathered
Challenges 4 Everybody: Anything Goes
Hobby Cutz Challenges: Make a Scene



7 comments:

  1. Oh, Kathi, so sorry to hear you have been sick! :^(
    Hope you get over your cough before your other lung comes up!
    And the paper-piecing really works on this card! Love your sweet little scene and all the different DP you chose for it! It's a fabulous card!
    Get well, Kiddo!
    Sending big hugs (from afar, doncha know), Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you pieced together your flamingo, Kathi. He looks so sweet against your (beautifully pieced) scene. I have never had the patience for paper piecing, but you have inspired me to give it a try soon. Hope you are now on the mend and feeling more human than frog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Flamingo, this is a cute version Kathi. Maybe later you will do another one with your copics or inks, it will be interesting to compare them!! Good we, Coco xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super card.

    Thanks for sharing at Hobbycutz this week.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great card and cute flamingo! Perfect for paper piecing. Hope you're feeling a better.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I love flamingos! Your card is perfect for our challenge at 365 Cards. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great paper piecing, really works well for the scene you've made.
    I do hope you're feeling better - keep warm and carry on crafting :)

    ReplyDelete