Friday, March 21, 2014

Meet SCACD's Victorian Steampunk Owl!


Victorian Steampunk Owl is one of SCACD's newest digital stamps! Of course I had to get this stamp as I love Steampunk and I love owls! She's so whimsical with that hat and winged boots!

Victorian Steampunk Owl was resized in PhotoElements, printed onto Neenah cardstock with my laser printer, and colored with Copic markers to match the color challenge that starts today over at Outlawz Alcohol Marker Group. One interesting note: I used B60 under the Neutral Grays for the owl's body. They combined together to make a different gray!

Here's the color swatch from Design Seeds.

After coloring Victorian Steampunk Owl, the image panel was die-cut using a Circles Nestabilities die. It was mounted onto a black/pink Core'Dinations cardstock Cog that was die-cut with a Cogs Nestabilities die, then lightly sanded to reveal pink edges.

When the image panel was mounted, I coated the eyes, beak, the boot's buttons, and the circuit-board/lightbulb circle with several coats of Clear Gelly Glaze pen. I also opted to add a very faint dotty background using BG10.

The card's design is based upon this sketch by Try Stamping on Tuesday.

I selected the patterned papers from the Natural 6x6 pad by Authentique since it matched the colors I had used on Victorian Steampunk Owl. RV Copic markers were used on the white flowers to make the paper match even better. The sheet was cut down to fit the sketch and the leftover piece was used for the horizontal strip.

Believe it or not, I had a Cuttlebug die that had a tiny lightbulb in addition to a mess of other tiny shapes. I have no recollection of buying it and have very few Cuttlebug dies, so I must've stolen it. All I know is that I found it when I was reorganizing a while back. I don't know if I had ever even used it! Anyway it was used to die-cut white cardstock, which was colored with Copic markers, then coated with several coats of Clear Gelly Glaze pen.

Thanks for visiting today!

I shall enter this card in the following challenges:
Try Stamping on Tuesday: Sketch Challenge
Crafty Boots Challenges: Feathers
Lexi's Creations Challenge #112: Dies and Punches
Marker Pop Monday: Anything Goes
Frilly and Funkie: Neglected Dies 

13 comments:

  1. Love that owl and the colour palette is fabulous. Thanks for joining in at Crafty Boots Challenges this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab job with the sketch and color challenges, Kathi! :^)
    Love that image, and love your coloring of it! Really fun DP and die cuts, too! :^)
    Hugs, Penny
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful coloring on your cute steampunk image. I love how you went with the blue more than the pink. I love the papers, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would never have thought of pairing a steampunk image with pastel like colours but it really works!! Looks fabulous, so fresh and light - great look :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a CAS card for you, I had to look twice! Love it though, shows off the cute little boots she has on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this Kathi!!! Seriously beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely card thanks for sharing with lexis creations Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fab card, I love the colours you have chosen and great layout. Thank you for sharing your work with all of us at Crafty Boots Challenges.

    Dionne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kathi,

    Wonderful card! The digital image of owl reminds me of OBP's cute owls. :-) Thank you for stopping by my blog and for the wonderful comments. You are so sweet.

    I am just starting to look for some challenge blogs too. It looks like you get some good ones! Thank you for sharing this.

    emilia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute Kathi, fabulous owl and colors!!! Hugs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh i love this owl!! fantastic take on the sketch :) So glad you joined us on Try Stampin' on Tuesday this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a neat concept for a this card! Very cool focal point and lovely colouring :) Thanks so much for sharing with us this week at Try Stampin' on a Tuesday, sure hope we will see you around again soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to see you've had the chance to use a long forgotten die for this lovely card. Thanks so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete