Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Altered Playing Cards — Week Four

I am participating in an Altered Playing Card challenge on Facebook. The talented and lovely Claudine Criner is the person who is organizing and setting each week's challenge by choosing the supplies, media, and techniques to be used.

I must say that I've really enjoyed this challenge because it forces me to get messy at least once a week and also has pushed me to re-use old supplies, use those supplies in a different way, or pushed me out of my comfort zone.

My first card this week did just that. We were to add tissue paper to our pre-gessoed cards, paint 'em, doodle on them, grab some Gelli prints (or patterned paper), doodle houses on the prints, fussy-cut the houses, stamp an image, and fussy cut that. I do not doodle on my projects, nor do I use my handwriting on them. Never, ever. Why? Because if my handwriting or doodling is not perfect, my inner Virgo control-freak has a conniption, which sets the voices in my head to arguing, and that just ain't good.

So, this week, I forced myself to doodle and draw houses. It took me several attempts to draw some houses that weren't barftastic.

With the above as a prelude, here's my card!
Per Claudine's example, Idea-ology tissue paper was torn and the strips were adhered to the card with  Media Matte Medium by DecoArt. I used text, music, and a graphic. When dry, Cobalt Blue Hue and Cobalt Teal Hue DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics were sponged over the card.

When the paint was dry, I used the Fude Ball pen to add some doodles. I was not happy doodling, but was happy with the pen as it's opaque, wrote over all sorts of bumps and divots on the card, and dried quickly.

I found some old (rejected) Gelli prints and drew a plethora of houses on the Gelli prints using the Fude Ball pen until I settled on the three you see here. They were fussy-cut and adhered to the card front with a Ranger Collage Glue Stick.

A moon (Hero Arts) was stamped onto a scrap of white cardstock using Tuxedo Black Memento ink, colored with Copic markers, then fussy-cut. It was adhered using the Collage Glue Stick. A heart corner punch was used to punch vellum, then the three hearts were adhered over the chimney with the Collage Glue Stick.

Do I like this card? Not sure? Do I like my doodling? Nope. It looks jive. Amateurish. Ick. Blech. But at least now you all know why I love stamps. The images are already perfect and make (all of me) happy.

The second card was much easier for me. Claudine's sample used acrylic paint, a colored, fussy-cut digital image, and washi tape.

Here's mine.

Primary Magenta DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics was mixed with Titanium White MFA and Primary Yellow MFA was mixed with Titanium White MFA. Both were streaked over the pre-gessoed card until I was happy with the coverage.

Le Petit Artiste by Vera Lane Studios was resized in PhotoElements, printed onto Neenah cardstock using my laser printer, colored with Copic markers, then fussy-cut. Little dabs of the paints that I used were added to her palette.

I had some "Keep Calm and Carry on" Washi tape that was perfect for this project. "Create" was die-cut from white metallic paper using a die by Elizabeth Craft Designs, colored with Copic markers, then adhered over "Carry on".

Here are this week's cards together!


Thanks for visiting today!

2 comments:

  1. OMGosh, Kathi, you are too hard on yourself! I think that house is fantastic! Really love the piece you made with it, too--great colors! And your other piece is adorable--really love the coloring & colors you chose for that as well! :^)
    Hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete