Thursday, September 8, 2011

Woe is me!



Once again, I've taken a long break from crafting and blogging, though I suppose I had a good excuse. Hurricane Irene came to visit, knocking out my power for 4.5 days. This meant that my sump pump couldn't do its job, which resulted in five inches of water in the basement. Irene also blew rain through a window, ruining drywall, and also through the exhaust fan in a bathroom, effectively destroying the tile in the shower.

I disconnected stereo equipment by flashlight, toted it upstairs, had friends come and help get the stuff I couldn't lift out of the basement, had the basement pumped out by an itinerant generator wielding pumper, then spent four days moving the contents out of the basement (record collection, cds, stereo equipment, books, more books, etc.), sorting the ruined from the salvageable, emptied the refrigerator and freezer, and basically wore myself to a frazzle. The power came back on Wednesday, then a clean-up crew came on Thursday and pulled out the carpeting, tore down some of the panelling, tore down the tiles and drywall in the shower, and set a bunch of fans and dryers. Turns out my roof has a pre-existing condition that I didn't know about it because I don't have wings to fly up to check it out. Go know.

Now I have to get the basement "man cave" remodeled, get the roof repaired or replaced, and then have the bathroom fixed. *sigh*

I couldn't really craft by flashlight or candle-light, so I didn't do much except read (miner's headlight) and rest. I finally did finish a card that I started before Irene arrived, but I submitted it and its partner to a magazine. Cross your fingers for me. If it doesn't make the cut, you'll see it eventually.

Po' po' me.

2 comments:

  1. so sorry to hear about all the damage :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Kathi! I wish you strength as you deal with the aftermath. Mother Nature can be a real b*tch when she's angry!

    ReplyDelete